If you’ve undergone a CoolSculpting session (or intend to do so), you’re already one step closer to a sculpted and toned body. We can help you eliminate the pockets of unwanted fat from your body, but the final results also depend on post-treatment recovery and aftercare. Please read the instructions mentioned below to ensure optimal results and recovery. And if you have any concerns, please give us a call!
Results & Expectations
Before discussing the post-treatment guidelines, let’s discuss some of your expectations and results. Your body will gradually start metabolizing and expelling the injured fat cells from the treatment areas within a few days. You may start noticing the results 4 to 8 weeks after the procedure, with gradual improvements for the next 4 months. It takes approximately 4 months for your body to eliminate 25% of the injured fat cells.
Things to Do
Maintain a Healthy Lifestyle
Please remember that CoolSculpting should accompany a healthy lifestyle. As such, the final results are predicated upon you maintaining a healthy diet and exercising regularly after the treatment.
CoolSculpting is a safe procedure with no downtime or recovery period. However, you should avoid strenuous activities that increase your body temperature, such as direct exposure to sunlight, heavy lifting, and exercise, for at least 24 hours after the procedure.
Managing Side Effects
Swelling or Discomfort
CoolSculpting is often followed by mild redness, nerve discomfort, swelling, aching, numbness, tingling, cramping, and bloating around the treatment areas. These side effects generally last for up to four weeks. You can do the following to manage the post-treatment side effects:
- Massage the treatment areas with Vaseline® or Aquaphor®
- Take over-the-counter medications, such as Tylenol. Avoid ibuprofen unless absolutely necessary, as it's an anti-inflammatory and your body needs the inflammation to get rid of your fat cells after your treatment. Arnicare gel also works wonders for bruising and can be gotten over-the-counter.
- Wear compression garments
- Apply ice packs or heating pads on the treatment areas — apply them intermittently for 3 to 5 minutes at a stretch for up to 2 hours
- Take oral liquid Allegra®, Benadryl®, or Claritin®
- Apply Vaseline®, Aquaphor®, or hydrocortisone 1% thrice a day
You may experience mild post-treatment bruising because of the device’s suction force. The bruises should dissipate within seven days. You should avoid alcohol and smoking during this period.
Your Next Appointment
If you experience side effects not covered in the section above, please contact our medical center immediately. And please remember to book your follow-up session after 2 to 4 months for optimal results.